Year-End HR Compliance Checklist
It seems that there are constantly moving targets when it comes to HR compliance. So how are you supposed to keep track? Here’s an Year-End HR Compliance Checklist of important things that should be done in the fall to keep you on track with year-end compliance deadlines.
Last Updated on November 28, 2023 by G. T. HR
A year-end HR compliance checklist is a crucial tool to ensure that your organization are addressing all legal and regulatory requirements related to human resources. Below is a checklist that covers various HR compliance areas for the end of the year.
Included in This Article
Employment Records and Documentation
Make sure you have up-to-date information on your employees.
- Review and update employee files, ensuring all required documents are up-to-date.
- Ensure I-9 Forms (and E-Verify if applicable) are completed and up-to-date.
- Update employee address to ensure they receive year end forms such as the W2 and 1095 forms timely.
- Review personnel files for compliance with confidentiality and data protection regulations.
- Ensure employees are properly classified as active/terminate. Failure to do so can lead to incorrect 1095 forms and other reporting errors.
End of the year is a great time to ensure your employee handbook is up-to-date with the everchanging federal and state regulations.
- Have your employee handbook assessed. Is it up-to-date?
- Does your employee handbook reflect changes to your state-specific laws?
- Determine compliance with state and federal leave laws.
- Assess all vulnerable areas within your employment practices to ensure legal compliance.
- Implement an ongoing handbook monitoring practice to avoid being caught off-guard by changes to relevant laws and policies.
- Ensure all employee have received a copy of the current handbook and have acknowledged its receipt.
Many Group Plans renew on January 1, so it is important to review your Group Health Plan to ensure not changes need to be made.
Employee Open Enrollment
- Finalize your employee open enrollment.
- Provide required employee benefit information to employees that elect coverage.
- Verify employee dependent coverage to ensure dependents on the plan eligible.
- Distribute new health insurance cards to employees.
- Calculate the number of Full-Time Employees (FTEs).
- Ensure employee premiums are considered affordable under the ACA.
- Distribute Health Insurance Marketplace Notices to employees.
- Prepare for reporting Forms 1094-C and 1095-C to the IRS.
- Check for the latest updates on changes in ACA laws.
If you are an applicable large employer (ALE) of 50 or more employees, you must provide employees with their benefits-related reporting via form 1095C and both the 1094C and the 1095C to the IRS. If you are self-insured and do not fall under the ALE definition, you must file the 1095B to all employees and both the 1094B and 1095B to the IRS.
Are you feeling overwhelmed by ACA filing options? MyHRConcierge offers assistance for businesses to maintain compliance through our service ACACompli.
- Evaluate your screening packages and products to be sure they are meeting your needs.
- Ask your screening expert how they can streamline your current package and evaluate new ideas and products.
- Explore creating a Custom Hiring Package that can give you more information and comprehensive screening for your screening budget.
- Check that your screening company is utilizing 1-click applicant invitations to keep you paperless and more efficient.
- Reach out to ask for an end-of-year one-on-one evaluation of your screening goals and how you can get the most out of your employee screening option.
Remember that compliance requirements may vary based on your location, industry and company size, so it is essential that you consult with HR professionals to ensure full compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. Regularly updating and adhering to this year-end HR Compliance Checklist will help your organization stay on top of HR compliance.
MyHRConcierge Is Your One Stop Shop For Compliance
MyHRConcierge offers a wide variety of HR services to keep you compliant with state and federal regulations. To learn more about HR compliance and support for your company, contact MyHRConcierge by phone at 1-855-538-6947 ext.108, email email@example.com or schedule a free consultation below: