ALERT: EEOC Pay Data Report: Component 2 Data Now Required for 2017 & 2018

Last Updated on May 6, 2019

Original Component 2 Required Only Calendar Year 2018

On May 2, 2019, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) announced that qualified employers must now submit calendar year 2017 pay data, as well as 2018 data, for Component 2 of the EEO-1 Survey by the filing date of September 30, 2019. Component 2 includes hours worked, and pay information from employees’ W2 Forms broken down by race, ethnicity and sex.

Immediate Reinstatement of Revised EEO-1: Pay Data Collection for Calendar Years 2017 and 2018

Last week, Judge Tanya Chutkan ordered the EEOC to collect TWO years of Component 2 data, and proposed two collection options for the EEOC to choose from:

  • Require 2017 data, due on September 30, along with the 2018 data
  • OR, require 2019 data, which would be due in 2020, since 2019 is still in progress

The EEOC chose the former. According to the EEOC homepage, “The EEOC expects to begin collecting EEO-1 Component 2 data for calendar years 2017 and 2018 in mid-July, 2019, and will notify filers of the precise date the survey will open as soon as it is available.”

The Component 1 due date of the EEO-1 Survey remains unchanged – May 31, 2019. This part of the report requests the number of employees a business has by job category, race, gender and ethnicity. Employers may submit their 2018 EEO-1 Survey on the EEOC website.

Who Must File the EEO-1 Report

Businesses that meet the following criteria are required to file the EEO-1 report each year:

  • 100 or more employees
  • Companies with fewer than 100 employees, if the company is owned by or corporately affiliated with another company, and the entire enterprise employs a total of 100 or more employees
  • Federal government prime contractors or first-tier subcontractors with 50 or more employees and a prime contract amounting to $50,000 or more.

If you have questions or need assistance with your reporting needs, please contact Chris Cooley at (855) 538-6947 ext 108.