Updated EEOC Workplace Poster October 2022
New “Know Your Rights” EEOC Poster Released
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) issued a new poster titled “Know Your Rights” on October 19, 2022. This poster updates and replaces the previous poster called “EEO is the Law.”
Poster Rules for Businesses
Employers with 15 or more employees must prominently display the new poster at their work sites under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act (Title VII), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other laws enforced by the EEOC.
Laws enforced by the EEOC generally prohibit employment discrimination based on certain protected traits, including race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability and age. These laws also require employers to display a workplace poster that describes their prohibitions and requirements.
Updates in the New EEOC Poster
The new poster aims to make it easier for:
- Employers to understand their legal responsibilities
- Workers to understand their legal rights
- Contact EEOC for assistance
The new “Know Your Rights” poster includes the following differences from the previous version:
- More straightforward language and formatting
- Harassment is noted as a prohibited form of discrimination
- Clarification that sex discrimination includes discrimination based on pregnancy and related conditions, sexual orientation, or gender identity
- QR code for applicants or employees to link directly to instructions on how to file a charge of workplace discrimination with the EEOC
- Information about equal pay laws for federal contractors
Poster Display Requirements
Employers must place the new poster in a conspicuous location in the workplace where notices to applicants and employees are customarily posted. The EEOC also encourages employers to post the notice on their websites. In most cases, electronic posting should be in addition to a physical posting. However, an electronic poster may be the only one if there is no physical workplace, if employees work from home and in similar situations.
Contact MyHRConcierge for Assistance With Workplace Labor Law Posters
Do you have any questions about your business and compliance with posters like “Know Your Rights” or other labor law posters? MyHRConcierge can help. Contact us today about this or any other HR topic by calling 1-855-538-6947 ext.108 or by email at email@example.com.